The specific scientific and technical objectives established for the project are:
1. To improve the conventional process of extraction of polyphenols. Developing an extraction technology by microwave assisted and solvent free microwave extraction
Based on this approach the development of this project will achieve:
- To reduce the extraction time and minimize degradation effect on polyphenols.
- To improve the effect on the yield and on the extract composition.
- Feedstock pre-treatment improvement by rupture of the cell wall.
- Reduce the quantity of solvent required for the extraction.
2. To develop fundamental knowledge in the field of microwave extraction of compounds from natural products.
Measurement of dielectric properties and its correlation with moisture and temperature, simulation of heating inside the oven, and evaluation of the thermal and athermal effects. All these effects will be composed for the phenomenological understanding of the process.
3. To develop formulation processes to improve polyphenols antioxidant capacity and solubility
Traditional Solution: biopolymer coprecipitation and spray drying.
Problem: degradation and loss of antioxidant capacity by spray drying temperature.
Novel solution: Drying with CO2 at controlled temperature, PGSS Drying (Particles from gas saturated solution) process.
Non soluble polyphenols
Formulate polyphenol extracts through formation and treatment of emulsions
To evaluate novel emulsion formation processes, particularly emulsion formation by ultrasounds, as well as novel surfactant carrier materials, with an emphasis on the functionality added to the material over the surfactant capacity, as allowed by the intensification of the particle formation process.
Traditional solution: Formation of emulsions by high speed disperser.
Problem: Emulsion loss by friction and temperature.
Novel solution: Formation of emulsions by ultrasound.
Traditional emulsion formulation: Emulsion Evaporation Process.
Novel solution: Emulsion-template techniques combining High Pressure and Antisolvent effects.
To complete a specific phenomenological study that relates fluid mechanics of the mixing steps, the thermodynamics of emulsions in high pressure environments, as well as their interactions with mass transfer and precipitation processes.
4. Develop a project formulation extraction processing unit continuously on an industrial scale
The project will determine the technical feasibility, economic and sustainability.
5. Incorporating our product within the field of pharmaceutical applications and food & cosmetics additives based on Emulsion-Template techniques.
Develop a project formulation extraction processing unit continuously on an industrial scale. The project will determine the technical feasibility, economic and sustainability.
6. Implementation of a collaborative methodology to achieve the S&T objectives.
Investigate and identify the molecular structures shown to provide specific health benefits give way to an implementation of the processes in a commercial scale.
7. Effective transfer of knowledge among involved partners.
The transfer of knowledge is one of the objectives of the project creating strong impact in each partner and improving the competitiveness and capacities of their researchers.